Did anyone schedule a campus visit in response to last week’s post? If so, I’d love to hear about where you’re visiting and how it goes once it happens:-) Email or DM me on IG to give me the scoop–you might be able to help our Scholar Village.
I received a few emails this week about best practices for campus visits or other college events. I’ve written a few IG posts that should provide some help in this area. Check them out at the links below, and make sure to follow us on IG and Twitter for tips, tricks, and giveaways in the future.
Some other things to consider as you meet with college staff and faculty during visitations and other events are as follows:
- Try to get information on the college and/or program in advance. However, you should still attend the event if you can’t get information in advance.
- Use your time wisely. Do not ask any questions that you can easily find the answer to online.
- Take all business cards, save them in a safe place for future reference, and do your best to remember the names of the officials to whom you’re talking. Using a person’s name (with their highest title–like Dr., Professor, etc.) adds a nice personal touch. And it shows that you’re paying attention.
- For campus visits, try to stay overnight. If you can’t, stay at least a half day.
- Send thank you notes to anyone who helped you. Recall a specific or memorable moment from your conversation to help them remember you.
These events should be informative not stressful. Be yourself, be professional, and learn. We help students and their families prepare for campus visits, so Contact Us if you’d like to set up a meeting.
The countdown to 2019 has begun!!